Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Finish skins, Test paint,

Have all of R2's skins cut out. Still need to finish the panels on both outer skins.

The small marks on the sides of the cut-outs are numbers, I still have the template on. Will draw a picture and number them the same, which will match the cut-outs' numbers. That way I'll know which pieces goes back where.

Sanded the primer off the coin slots. It would almost rub off!!!. Also sanded the utility arms. Then a good coat of primer. Will get some 200-400 grit sand paper tomarrow and lightly sand them with it. Then another light primer coat.

I pulled out a big piece of scrap styrene to do a paint test. I lightly sanded it, to rough up the surface a bit. Then a coat of primer. After it dried, a coat of Rust-Oleum Metallic Cobalt blue. Let dry about 15-20 min. Then a coat of Dupli-Colour anodized blue, then let it dry. Didn't have any clear coat yet.
I couldn't find any deep purple so went w/ cobalt blue. I really like the way it turned out.

First is w/o the flash. Second w/ flash. Both indoors at night. Will post pics off daylight outside tomarrow.

Oooppps second one blurry. sorry.

Hopfully more tomarrow!!!

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Back at it, again!!!

Been working at a lot slower pace, the last few weeks. Started R2's new shoulders.

Also worked on the other leg.

And a main ankle.

Got some resin parts too! Thanks Keith!

Cleaned them all up as instructed and thought i'd prime the coin slots. Well the primer just scratches right off!
  I either need to rough up the surface a bit or use better primer.
Could't resist putting the shoulder hub in the near finished leg.  It's a little high on the bottom. So after investigating I found it sitting on the leg tube.

A little grinding with the dremel  and voila!

Still a little off to one side. will look at it again.

Now have started hand cutting the skins. At this point have both inners and front outer.

Will try to get outer back done this week.
Whew! all for now!

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Legs, Messed up shoulders and ankles

Well, got very little done this week. Have one leg almost put together. But I really don't like the way it looks. I think it's structurally sound. I guess if it looks good on outside, that's what will count  Will need to file my edges before wrapping it in 1mm. Also need to put on last side piece of 3mm.

Messed up on the center ankle. There are sets of strips the go from top of ankle to the bottom of the curve on the outside 3mm piece. Well, when I scored the placement marks from the template, I went all the way to the bottom of the ankle, and then glued the strips to far down.

I should be able to cut them back close to the curve w/o scaring the base. Then sand to flush w/ curve.

Now the shoulders. Not posting pics on these, but believe me when I say that you NEED a drill press to drill all the holes in the shoulder! If not you take the chance of putting them in at a angle!  Just like me!!!!
 I didn't like the way they turned out anyway. I had a couple of gaps between the slats and the discs, and one set somehow got out of round. so.....

Well now is when I need to say that I will be taking a few weeks off from building. I start the repairs to my house, from the flood damage, from last week. I do have a order submitted for resin coinslots and utility arms.
 So I guess getting needed parts is still progress. Oh, will get a couple pieces of much needed 1mm styrene too!

Monday, May 3, 2010


Well, been an instrasting weekend! We had at least 10-12 inches of rain here Saturday night. Woke up to take dog out, had 3.5 feet of water in front yard!  needless to say r2 building has stop till further notice till I'm back on my feet. Will be updating.